It’s not impossible or even that difficult to stick with your lifestyle/diet or choice and socialize with your family and friends. Here are some tips to help you not have to choose between the two.
- When going out to eat with family and friends, select the restaurant if possible. You know which restaurants have menus that cater to your needs and also offer the standard popular choices that most people like. National chains such as California Pizza Kitchen, Grand Lux Cafe and Seasons 52 have very diverse menus that have something for EVERYONE.
- Research menus online ahead of time or call and ask if special requests can be made. Did you know that many restaurants have vegetarian and gluten free menus available upon request. It’s their best kept secret.
- Tell your family and friends about your food choices and help them understand that this is lifestyle and not a temporary fad for you. The more you ‘bend’ the less seriously they will take your claims to be on a lifestyle modification programs. Consistency is convincing. Before long THEY will be the ones selecting restaurants that they know can accommodate YOU and they will respect your resolve and dedication.
- Bring a dish to BBQs, parties and other functions. Try to make it something that not only you will eat but that will also appeal to others. Baked tortilla chips and guacamole or a healthy dessert (disguised as the regular version) will go over a lot better than raw zucchini and beets wrapped in seaweed. Know your boundaries. Don’t push it.
- When you will have little control over the environment, eat a snack before going so that you won’t be ravenous in the event there are not many options for you. Don’t be a sour puss either. It’s not always all about you.