WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- A powerful blender: Vitamix, Ninja, Blentec. A larger blender is best so you can make a large batch at once.
- Plastic or glass bottles or mason jars to store and transport the smoothies. They should be 16oz or larger.
- The ingredients in the smoothies. See grocery list below. If you will not be making a certain recipe do not get the ingredients needed for only that one.
- The essential oils lemon, peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon and ginger are individually in four of the smoothies. They are optional but recommended ingredients. Essential oils from stores may not be 100% pure and hence not suitable for ingestion. You can order these oils from my oils website mydoterra.com/kaylagorrell.
- sharp knife
- vegetable peeler (if making the beet smoothie)
In order to maximize positive results and a positive experience, at least five days before the cleanse, I recommend you eat a diet that consists of more greens, other vegetables, fresh fruit, whole grains. Limit or omit fried food, oil, processed snack foods, red meat, dairy, sugary beverages, alcohol and coffee. When you make a drastic change to your diet over night the detox symptoms are more severe. This gradual transition will not only minimize the detox symptoms, it will also help you eat healthier over a period longer than the three days and result in more weight loss and cleansing.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Please note this is NOT A JUICE CLEANSE. Smoothies retain all the fiber and nutrients since the food is blended. With juice the liquid is separated from the solid. Juice cleanses are great and therapeutic but not as satisfying and could be problematic for people who need to keep their blood sugar low since the fruit sugars are concentrated and fiber is removed. Fiber helps regulate sugar absorption it the blood.
- More energy
- Weight loss of a few pounds
- Improved mental clarity
- Improved appearance of skin and hair
- Reduction in unhealthy food cravings
- More regularity in the bathroom. This fact alone cause the loss of some weight.
- Initially you may experience detox symptoms of headaches, slight hunger (mainly due to not chewing.) The cleaner your diet is going into the cleanse the fewer symptoms you will have. These symptoms are a good sign that toxins are leaving your body! Everyone is different. Some people experience no unpleasant side effects.
HOW TO DO IT
- One week out begin cleaning up your diet: more raw veggies, fresh fruit and whole grains such as brown rice, oatmeal and quinoa. Less oil, processed carbs, red meat, dairy, sugary beverages, alcohol.
- Buy bananas 2-5 days before the cleanse so they can be very ripe and hence sweeter. Peel them and cut them in halves before freezing them.
- Follow the recipes and make large batches. If you have enough containers you can even make all the smoothies in one go and store them in the fridge. They will be good for 3 days.
- Start each day with a glass of room temperature water with 1-2 drops lemon oil or the juice of 1/2 a lemon. This wakes up your digestion and elimination.
- Always make your first smoothie of the day a green non-protein smoothie. Save the heartier protein ones for later in the day. When you sleep your body is in a fasting state overnight. Ideally this time frame is 12 hours. When your first ‘meal’ is a simple green smoothie with just water, greens and fruit it helps extend the fasting period and allows those nutrients to absorbed right away.
- Women, consume 6-8 smoothies per day depending on your activity level. Men, consume 8-10 per day depending on activity level.
- Try to space the smoothies 3 hours apart. Do not drink the first one until you feel hungry. You will get a lot more in tune with your body and its needs during this cleanse.
- If you feel you need a more savory taste during the three days I will also add a simple miso soup recipe that you can have in the afternoons or evenings. This is optional.
- Herbal caffeine-free teas can also be consumed during the cleanse.
- Drink a lot of water during the day- at least 64 ounces.
- Light exercise helps the detoxification process. Walking and yoga are best. I spin during cleanses and feel fine. Make sure you listen to your body.
Buy organic ingredients as much as possible.
Recommended stores are: Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, CSAs/Farmers’ Markets. Many large grocery store will be fine too. Even super Walmart carries many items below. If you decide you are going to skip a certain smoothie, skip buying any ingredient that’s only in that recipe.
Take a look at the recipes and decide which smoothies you will make and how many of them you will have. That will give you an idea of how much of the following to buy. Err on the side of having more than you need so that you don’t run out. You can always make more for another day or even extend the cleanse. In cleanses I’ve hosted in the past it is not uncommon for people to extend because they feel great, enjoy the smoothies and want to drop a few more pounds.
- raw spinach (5oz bags or larger packages)
- raw baby kale (5 oz bags or larger. Regular kale has a way more bitter taste and may make jack up your green smoothies. Trust me!)
- bananas (buy these in advance so they can get very ripe. Then peel them, break them in half and freeze the halves.
- frozen mangoes
- apples ( I prefer fuji or gala)
- pears-very ripe
- oranges or mandarins or tangerines
- raw beets
- frozen blueberries
- cacao powder
- raw hemp protein powder
- natural peanut butter/ other nut butter or low fat powdered peanut butter if you prefer a low fat option
- coconut water- 32 oz containers are best
- raw flaxseeds or flaxseed meal/ground flaxseed
- cinnamon powder/ cinnamon essential oil (oil is preferred)
- ginger powder/root or ginger essential oil
- lemons or lemon essential oil
- peppermint or spearmint essential oil for the chocolate mint shake.
- miso paste ( if you will have warm soup in the evenings)
One thought on “Kayla’s 3 day Summer Smoothie Cleanse”