I have unsuccessfully attempted to make a vegan gluten free brownie for many years. It’s quite the task to get the desired moist, slightly chewy texture without eggs and gluten. The ingredients that make a difference are flax seed and dates! The recipe is so easy too.
Warning: These are not ‘healthed up’ to the nth degree like most of my recipes! They contain coconut oil. So if you are cleansing or trying to break a sugar addiction, do not make these! They are great for my fellow sweet toothed folks and kids as an occasional treat maybe once per month or so.
2 1/2 ounces unsweetened bakers chocolate
1/4 cup room temp. coconut oil
4 tbsp nut milk
1 tbsp brown rice syrup/maple syrup
3 tbsp flaxseed meal
4 tbsp warm water to mix with flax seed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup oat flour. Blend rolled oats in a coffee grinder to make your own
1/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Pit and soak dates for 15-30 minutes to soften.
- Combine flax meal with warm water. Stir well and set aside so it forms a gel. This is the ‘egg.’
- Combine chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave for 90 seconds or until completely melted and stir well.
- Add dates, vanilla and milk to a food processor and make into a paste.
- Add chocolate and oil mixture and flax mixture to the food processor next and process well. A blender may also be used if the blades can catch the mixture.
- Combine flour, cacao, salt and baking soda and mix well.
- Combine dry mixture to wet mixture and hand mix well. At first it may seem as if there’s too much flour but it will disappear and form in a huge glob- not a typical batter. If you have a hard time getting the dry ingredients all moist add anywhere from 1-4 tbsp more of warm water.
- Transfer the glob into a 8×8 pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes.
- It will be very fragile while hot. Let it cool completely before cutting. Placing it in the fridge for a 30 minutes to chill slightly helps making cutting cleaner.
Let me know how you like it!