Cauliflower is so versatile. You can cook it in so many ways and give it what ever taste you want. Commonly it is used to make soup, ‘mashed potatoes,’boiled and steamed. The cooking methods for this recipe are a bit different. I was not able to find a jerk seasoning free of chemical ingredients so I did what any determined vegan experimenter would do. I made my own.
JERK CAULIFLOWER STEAKS
1 head cauliflower
1-2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tsp McCormick Grill Mates Montreal chicken seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 packet stevia
1/2 tsp allspice
- Wash cauliflower. Cut off base with leaves and sit base side down. Part of the base remains so that cauliflower is still one unit. With a large sharp knife cut it in half without breaking florets off. Cut two 3/4 inch ‘steaks’ from each half. You will have some florets left over than you can cook too.
- Preheat oven to 425
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan.
- Combine 1tbsp oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Use a culinary brush to coat the steaks with the mixture.
- Sprinkle jerk seasoning on both sides of each steak.
- Sear the steaks in the frying own for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Flip half way through the baking time.
You can sprinkle hot sauce for a extra kick. Eat with sautéed kale or spinach and onions, with a salad or over brown rice or quinoa.
RAW CHOCOLATE PUDDING
1 very ripe avocado
6-8 Medjool dates (soaked in advance for 1 hour)
4-6 tbsp raw cacao powder
1/2 cup unsweetened nut milk
2 tsp ground chia seeds
1 tbsp vanilla extract
stevia to taste.
a pinch a sea salt
Add milk to the blender first, then add other ingredients and blend until smooth. Chill then enjoy cold. More milk may be needed if the blender is not mixing them. This recipe is so ridiculously easy and it’s so good.